August 3, 2008

The Fruits of Our Labor

We put a lot of work into planting a garden this year. Jesse built some boxes and we added a lot of compost and manure to our "wonderful Magna soil" . We decided to start small and if we were successful we would build on that next year. The cucumbers we planted just didn't take, but the squash and zucchini plants are huge and producing a lot. They just seem to grow in front of your eyes. We neglected to check the plants for just a few days and ended up with this huge zucchini. We also have our first red tomato on the vine and are excited to start making fresh salsa and pasta sauces in the next few weeks. I can't believe how much I have enjoyed having a garden. I must have some of Grandpa Thornock's jeans in me.

1 comment:

Kristen said...

Great job! The one year I seriously attempted the gardening I ended up with on zuchinni- the length of my arm and the width of Bob's thigh...FOr some reason I haven't picked it up since...